Bromelain is a protein extract derived from the stems of pineapples, although it exists in all parts of the fresh plant and fruit. The extract has a history of folk medicine use. As a culinary ingredient, it may be used as a meat tenderizer. Bromelain extract is a mixture of protein-digesting (proteolytic) enzymes and several other substances in smaller quantities. The proteolytic enzymes are sulfhydryl proteases.
The Enzymes are :
1. Stem Bromelain
2. Fruit Bromelain
Bromelain is extracted from the peel, stem, leaves or waste of the pineapple plant after processing the fruit for juice or other purposes. The starting material is blended and pressed through a filter to obtain a supernatant liquid containing the soluble bromelain enzyme. Further processing includes purification and concentration of the enzyme.
Maximum cumulative activity for enzymes has been seen in optimum temperature of 35-45 degree celcius.
Tierra Overseas is manufacturer and supplier of high quality Bromelain powder in India.
Bioloical Source : Pineapple [Ananas comosus]
Family : Bromeliaceae
Culinary Use of Bromelain
- Bromelain is one of the most popular proteases to use for meat tenderizing.
- Bromelain is available in powder form which can be added to marinade or directly sprinkled over uncooked meat.
Health Benefits of Bromelain
• The bromelain powder is useful as potent anti inflammatory and anti swelling agent.
• As muscle relaxant and relieves strain of connective tissues.
• Bromelain Powder also useful as the source of vitamin C, B1, potassium and manganese.
• Useful for faster recovery from surgery and injury.
• Useful to treat Asthama and allergic conditions.
• Bromelain (300 FIP units)(600 mg tablet) could help people suffering from chronic sinusitis.
Poudre de bromélaïne, Bromelainpulver, Bromelaína em pó, Polvo de bromelina, Pineapple enzymes powder, Bromelain, Culinary Powders