Chives are a bulb-forming herbaceous perennial plant, growing to 30–50 cm (12–20 in) tall. The bulbs are slender, conical, 2–3 cm (3⁄4–1 1⁄4 in) long and 1 cm (1⁄2 in) broad, and grow in dense clusters from the roots. The scapes (or stems) are hollow and tubular, up to 50 cm (20 in) long and 2–3 mm (1⁄16–1⁄8 in) across, with a soft texture, although, prior to the emergence of a flower, they may appear stiffer than usual. The leaves, which are shorter than the scapes, are also hollow and tubular, or terete, (round in cross-section) which distinguishes it at a glance from Garlic Chives.
The flowers are pale purple, and star-shaped with six petals, 1–2 cm (1⁄2–3⁄4 in) wide, and produced in a dense inflorescence of 10-30 together; before opening, the inflorescence is surrounded by a papery bract. Chives are grown for their scapes, which are used for culinary purposes as a flavoring herb, and provide a somewhat milder flavor than those of other Allium species.
Tierra Overseas is manufacturer and supplier of Chives in India.
Biological Source : Allium schoenoprasum
Family : Amaryllidaceae
Culinary Use of Chives
• It is used as a flavoring herb.
• It is used in in traditional dishes in France.
• Chives are used with pancakes, soups, fish and sandwiches.
• Useful in salad dressings.
Health Benefits of Chives
• Chives are very useful in stabilizing the heart rates and with high blood pressure, and also able to lower down cholesterol.
• Chives are very useful in especially stomach and colorectal cancers.
• Chives are also use in treatment of prostate cancer.
• Chives are useful in treatment of sleep disorders and depression.
• Chives are also useful in psychological disorders.
Ciboulette, Schnittlauch, Cebolinha, Cebolletas, Allium schoenoprasum, schnittlaugh, Alliaceous plant, cive, Green Onion, herb, leeks,