Fenugreek is a native to the sub-Himalayan plains of Indian subcontinent, and today, it is widely grown all over the southern and Mediterranean Europe, Middle-East Asia and North African regions. Major fenugreek producing countries are Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Iran, Nepal, Bangladesh, Argentina, Egypt, France, Spain, Turkey, and Morocco; the largest producer being India, Fenugreek seeds are being used in a wide range of culinary recipes, especially in spice mix. The seeds, either in the form of whole seeds, sprouted, powder, sauce or as paste is used in a variety of savory dishes in many parts of the Middle-East, India, Mediterranean and Central Asian regions.
Tierra Overseas is processor and supplier of Mustard Seeds in India.
Biological Source : Trigonella foenum-graecum
Family : Fabaceae
Culinary Use of Fenugreek
• Fenugreek is one of the chief ingredients in Indian curry and masala powders.
• Small quantity of sprouted seeds are added to vegetables and lentil dishes.
• Fenugreek greens, known as methi, either fresh or dried; is one of the prominent leafy-greens featuring in India, Pakistan and Persian cooking with spinach, potato (aloo-methi),carrots etc.
• Sprouted fenugreek seeds are used in salads, pastes, dips, fillings, etc.
• They are usually preferred in preparing pickles, daals, sambhar powder, and other vegetable dishes.
Health Benefits of Fenugreek
• They are rich in vitamins such as thiamin, folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, vitamins A, B6, and C, and are a rich storehouse of many minerals such as copper, potassium, calcium, iron, selenium, zinc, manganese, and magnesium.
• Fenugreek leaves are a rich source of vitamin K as well.
• Fenugreek contains saponins that help reduce the absorption of cholestrol from fatty foods in our body.
• An unusual amino acid (4HO-Ile), so far found only in fenugreek, has possible anti-diabetic properties such as enhancing insulin secretion under hyperglycemic conditions,
• Fibers in fenugreek may help to prevent certain types of cancer.
• Fenugreek is said to be an effective heartburn or acid reflux remedy because the mucilage in fenugreek seeds assists in soothing gastrointestinal inflammation, and coating the stomach and intestinal lining.
Trigonella foenum, graecum, Fenogreco, Fenugrec, Foenugraeci Semen, Foenugreek, Greek Clover, Greek Hay, Greek Hay Seed, Hu Lu Ba, Medhika, Methi, Methika, Sénégrain, Sénégré, Trigonella, Trigonella Foenum, Trigonella foenum-graecum, Trigonella foenugraecum,