Biological Source : Acacia concinna
Family : fabaceae
Acacia concinna is a climbing shrub native to Asia, common in the warm plains of central and south India. Acacia concinna has been used traditionally for hair care in the Indian Subcontinent since ancient times. It is one of the Ayurvedic medicinal plants. It is traditionally used as a shampoo.
Chemical constituents present inside Acacia concinna is lupeol, spinasterol, acacic acid, lactone, and the natural sugars glucose, arabinose and rhamnose. It also contains hexacosanol, spinasterone, oxalic acid, tartaric acid, citric acid, succinic acid, ascorbic acid, and the alkaloids calyctomine and nicotine.
The fruit of this plant is called shikakai in India. It’s known as fruit for the hair and used in traditional shampoo. To prepare the fruit pods for use as a shampoo, the bark and leaves of the plant are first dried. Then the bark and leaves are ground into a fine powder and made into a creamy paste. Acacia concinna extracts are used in hair powders and natural shampoos. The pods, leaves and bark of this tree are ground and used as extract or dry powder. The bark of the tree contains high levels of saponins. Saponins are found in many other plant species, but get their name from the soapwort plant (i.e., Saponaria).
Benefits of Shikakai Powder
- It is used as a cleanser for hair and body. It is rich in Vitamin C, A, D, E and K.
- Nourishes Hair Follicles and Promotes hair growth
- It Prevents graying of Hair
- It is useful to treat scabies
- It has antifungal and antibacterial properties
- Shikakai has low pH content, which is why it is harmless.
- Shikakai is rich in nicotinic acid and other types of proteins which is useful
- Shikakai contains tannins, alkaloids, flavonoids and vitamins which have antioxidant nature. These antioxidants fight the harmful free radicals.
- Shikakai is also used as an antiseptic. Therefore, it is used to cure wounds and cuts that appear on the scalp
- Shikakai has been found in curing leprosy. The pods of Shikakai fruit when applied on the affected areas can cure the person of leprosy.
- Shikakai also helps to maintain the proper oral health. The mixture of Shikakai and lukewarm water can help to cure the person of various gum diseases